KATM Supports the Implementation of the
Common Core State Mathematics Standards
Websites, files, and discussion related to the Common Core State Standards:
PLEASE NOTE– YOU WILL NEED A PDF VIEWER, AND A PPTX VIEWER TO OPEN THESE FILES. IF YOU NEED A VIEWER, CLICK THE LINKS BELOW:
PPTX VIEWER for Windows
PDF VIEWER for Windows
Structuring the mathematical practices Bill McCallum
In the progressions project we’ve been discussing how best to represent the standards for mathematical practice. The practices are signposted throughout the documents, but we’ve also been thinking about how to provide some structure for the practice standards that will help people avoid fruitless tagging exercises in their efforts to integrate the practice standards into the content standards. If you think about it long enough you can associate just about any practice standard with any content standard, but this sort of matrix thinking can lead to a dilution of the force of the practice standards—if you try to do everything all the time, you end up doing nothing. This diagram is an attempt to provide some higher order structure to the practice standards, just as the clusters and domains provide higher order structure to the content standards. http://commoncoretools.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/practices.pdf
Summer Academy 2012
The Sylvester’s powerpoints:
The Common Core “FlipBooks” are a compilation of research, “unpacked” standards from many states, instructional strategies and examples for each standard at each grade level. The intent is to show the connections to the Standards of Mathematical Practices for the content standards and to get detailed information at each level.
Resources used: Common Core State Standards, NCTM’s Focus In Grades K-8 series, Student Centered Mathematics by J. VandeWalle, Arizona, Ohio and North Carolina department of education “unpacking” of the standards. This “Flip Book” is intended to help teachers understand what each standard means in terms of what students must know and be able to do. It provides only a sample of instructional strategies and examples. The goal of every teacher should be to guide students in understanding & making sense of mathematics.
- High School Flipbook
- 8th Flipbook
- 7th Flipbook
- 6th Flipbook
- 5th Flipbook
- 4th Flipbook
- 3rd Flipbook
- 2nd Flipbook
- 1st Flipbook
- K Flipbook
- This website does a nice job of breaking it down by concept and offering several games for each.http://www.iboard.co.uk/curriculum.htm#maths-strandReception2numstrategy_yearreception
- This is another site that gives a lot of skill practice by concept. This link will take you to the primary page.http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/math.htm#earlymath
- Another collection of Standards Based lesson planshttp://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/
Several mentioned more time to study/understand WHAT to teach as part of CCSS. A good place for more detailed information about the mathematics of the content standards and what each means is part of the “Progression” documents being written by the CCSS authors. You MIGHT want to visit those “Progressions” —- http://commoncoretools.me/category/progressions/
LESSON PLANS from Lesson Planet.com–may be a resource for creating mini-units for standards that are missing or too shallow in your texts.
The National Science Digital Library (NSDL) Math Common Core collection features digital learning resources that address concept and skills components of the Math Common Core State Standards. The collection is organized by grade level and domain, as defined within the Common Core documents. Resources in this collection include lesson plans, simulations, problem sets with explanations, student activities that provide feedback, and other interactives. The collection will continue to grow as new resources are added regularly
*TED Video: Let’s Use Videos to Reinvent Education,March 2011
*FANTASTIC–lots of lesson ideas and actual lesson plans to use now
*Common Core Tools from the Dana Center at UT Austin-
PARCC (the OTHER testing consortium that Kansas. is NOT part of) has released draft frameworks for common core standards. Lots of information!
http://commoncoretools.wordpress.com Keep an eye on this for more info on the Standards progressions (final versions) being written by members of the original work team. This is actually Bill McCallum’s site. He is one of the main authors of the Math CCSS. This site includes materials from the Illustrative Math Project which is a collection of sample tasks and problems (intended as a resource for interpreting standards with sample tasks/problems that capture that standard. You can also find the standards in web form —easy to use)
Inside Mathematics is a professional resource for educators interested in improving students’ mathematics learning and performance. This site features classroom examples of innovative teaching methods and insights into student learning, tools for mathematics instructionthat teachers can use immediately, and video tours of the ideas and materials on the site.
Check out the info on the Standards for Mathematical
Practices…….quite good! VIDEO CLIPS FROM CLASSROOMS.
SMARTER BALANCE CONSORTIUM– the group Kansas is working with on new state assessments
For those interested, SBAC just released the second draft of their math content specifications on their website. You can find the new version online at: http://www.k12.wa.us/SMARTER/Resources.aspx
Content specifications from Smarter Balance (Dec. 2011 draft) includes a pool of 8th grade sample problems starting on page 70.
- Mathematical Practices
- Common Core Resources
- Kansas Common Core Standards
- The Common Core Organization
- SMARTER Balance Consortium (via Washington State)
- PARCC Consortium
- Tools for CCSS – Here is a link to Bill McCallum’s site that was shared at the Academies.
- Mc Callum Progressions
- Inside Mathematics
- Ohio Common Core website
- Arizona Common Core Website
- North Carolina DOE
- Design Squad Nation – This Web site offers many examples that contextualize engineering concepts
- MARS project - Mathematics Assessment Resource Service
- Common Core flipcharts
- Dan Myer Video — Math curriculum needs makeover
- Dan Meyer Blog - Dan Meyer has many interesting ideas about providing open-ended application problems as well as integrating technology into the classroom. His blog has many links and forums.
- Common Core App. for iphone/ipad
- Another CC App.
- Common Core App. for Android phones/pads
Summer Academy 2011 Files
- (Melisa’s) SMARTER/Balance powerpoint – Day-2 Keynote.
- (Melisa’s) Math Bibliography
- (All Groups) Practice Standards “walk through” document
- (All Groups) Common Core Overview document — from summer academies, the “progressions” activity
- (All Groups) Conceptual Foundations for Ratios (Jordan School District) – Tape diagrams & double-bar diagram explanation.
- (All Groups) Mathematical Practices Standards — from summer academies, for processing an activity to see how it meets the Practices stds.
- (K-2) K Transition document
- (K-2) 1st Transition document
- (K-2) 2nd Transition document
- (K-2) Making Meaning for Operations – powerpoint
- (K-2) Making Meaning for Operations – add & sub problems
- (K-2) Common Addition and Subtraction Situations
- (K-2) Common Core Standards helpful websites
- (K-2) Practice Standards Process Standards and Proficiency Strands
- (K-2) Standards for Mathematical Practice 11 x 17
- (K-2) Treasure Hunt – map
- (K-2) Thinkers Shakers Feelers Doers
- (K-2) Orpda Number System
- (6-8) Overview Powerpoint
- (6-8) Treasure Hunt – Middle School
- (6-8) Transition Document – 6th grade
- (6-8) Transition Document – 7th grade
- (6-8) Transition Document – 8th grade
- (6-8) The River Crossing – powerpoint
- (6-8) The River Crossing – game mat
- (6-8) The River Crossing – data page
- (6-8) The River Crossing – area model
- (6-8) The River Crossing – dot plot
- (6-8) “Shapes” reflection page
- (6-8) Day 1 homework
- (6-8) Bridge Building Activity powerpoint
- (6-8) Exit Slip
- (Administration) Day 1 Powerpoint
- (Administration) Day 2 Powerpoint
- (Administration) Alphabox
- (Administration) Treasure Hunt
- (Administration) Example Student Tasks
- (Administration) Practice Standards Sorting Mat
- (Administration) Teacher Action Sorting Cards
- (Administration) Progression of Overviews
- (Administration) Y-Chart
- Common Core Discussion forum – a place to discuss, ask questions, share thoughts on the Common Core.